Skip to main content

Send Help!

Keeping a baby and a toddler alive and happy on a day to day basis is hard work but taking care of 2 littles when they are both sick ranks right up there as one of the worst things I have had to do.  It is both mentally and physically draining.

The week started off with a bang....literally.  On Sunday afternoon Townes, Todd, and Candor were playing around on the big bed when all of a sudden Townes went tumbling off the bed and hit his head hard on the sharp edge of my nightstand.  It was Townes' first real accident.  There was blood and tears galore.


Monday we headed downtown to ride the Zilker Zephyr and play on the playground.  It had been rainy and gloomy in Austin for weeks but the sun decided to come out and shine in all its glory.   I, of course, did not think to bring sunscreen and Townes' fresh baby skin got sunburned.



I felt horrible.  How could I have let this happen to my little bubba!  The only spot he did not get burned was where his band-aid was from his fall the day before.

Tuesday both Candor and Townes had fever.  Townes was low grade (I blamed it on the sunburn) but Candor's was 103.  I called the doctor as the flu was running rampant at his school.  The nurse asked if he was lethargic.  I looked over at him and he was doing somersaults naked like a loony bin.


I told her no so she said just to monitor and give him Motrin to help reduce the fever.  The remainder of the day we hung out inside the house 'resting' and playing.



On Wednesday Candor willingly laid down and took a nap so I knew something was up.


When he woke up his temperature was 104 and was very lethargic.  I called the doctor and they said to come on come on in.  Todd left his office around the same time to meet us there.  I asked that they look at both Candor and Townes as Townes was still running a very slight fever.  It took Todd a bit longer to arrive so we went ahead and got started before him.  Once they put Townes on the scale he started crying.  Once I had him calmed down they gave Candor a flu test.  In order to do this they took this device and just shoved it down his nose to get a sample of his mucus.  He flipped out and started crying.  Once he began crying it upset Townes again who was already on edge.  It was awful. They were both in my arms loudly crying and clinging to me for dear life.  I was about to start crying myself.

Thankfully a few minutes later Todd arrived.  He said he walked in and just followed the sound of the cries.  Ha.

Candor's flu test came back negative and the doctor said he had common cold virus and it would just take time to work its way out of his system.

The doctor also said Townes had a little cold.  Her and Todd then started joking around about Townes' sunburn and how he was scared they were going to call CPS on us.  I was mortified.

On Thursday Candor and Townes still had slight fevers so we stayed in again and tried to entertain ourselves.





By Thursday night Townes' fever skyrocketed to 104.  We called the after hours nurse and she said just motrin to reduce the fever.  If it hit 105 to go to the ER.  I couldn't believe it.  105?!  That is so high. 


We followed the dr's orders and by Friday morning Townes seemed to be on the mend.  Candor, on the other hand, woke up and started vomiting. 


I made him a pallet and would not let him move unless he needed to go to the bathroom.  Around this time Todd also called and told me he had to leave to go to Chicago on Sunday for the week.  After that phone call I was about 2 seconds away from losing my mind so I called Nana and Pop Pop and asked if they could come save me.  They said they would leave first thing the next morning!

On Saturday morning everyone woke up fever free and happy!  Candor and Townes had on their dinosaur shirts so Todd decided he needed one too!


Nana and Pop Pop arrived later that afternoon and we had the best few days hanging out enjoying not being sick.




Please God never let my babies be sick at the same time EVER AGAIN.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

23 Months! (Townes)

My little man is now 23 months old! He is so happy, sweet and funny!  His days are spent laughing and smiling...with only a few tears thrown in there every once in awhile. His new favorite loves this month are dandelions and helping me do things. Townes can spot a dandelion from a mile away and insists on grabbing every single one of them. He also insists on helping me do everything.  Some things take a bit longer to do with Townes helping but I'll take them taking out the trash everyday! His favorite foods is still tacos.  He gets fired up anytime we mention tacos and starts chanting....'TACOS! TACOS!'. He loves soccer balls.  One day he had a fit to try on one of Candor's soccer uniforms.  I have never in my life seen anyone so proud.  He was glowing and thought he was so cool like his big bro. Todd ordered them both a new Liverpool kit which was also Townes first soccer kit of...

Frankenstein

Candor and I did our first craft project.  There were no fights and it 'kind of' looks like Frankenstein so I give it an A+!

2018 Valentines

Townes and Candor had an awesome Valentines this year. In early February Candor and Townes made some sweet little Valentines for some of their friends. Candor then had his Valentines Day Sock Hop at his preschool.  A few hours before the dance I remembered I had signed up to bring cookies so we raced to the IGA and picked up our 'homemade' cookies! We then started getting ready for the big dance.  Once we got to the dance we headed straight to the photo booth.  Candor loved posing with all his friends and we could barely drag him away. Candor then headed for the dance floor.  He danced, played limbo, and ran around like crazy.  All the kids had so much fun. On the morning of Valentines Candor and Townes 'raced' downstairs to see what they got. Candor then got dressed and headed to school with the Valentines for his friends and Ms. Suzi's gift. Candor insisted that we bring Ms. Suzi some chocolate c...