Skip to main content

5 Month Visit with Dr. D. (Townes)

Since Townes was born he has been an excellent sleeper.  He sleeps and sleeps for hours on end.  One thing he does not do while sleeping is move.  I lay him down on his back (because you know - back is best these days) and in the morning he is in the same spot.  

At his 2 month visit with Dr. D. he mentioned that Townes was getting a bit of a flat spot on his head and gave us some tips to try to prevent it from getting worse.  We worked so hard for the next couple of months.  He never step foot in another swing.  We re-positioned his head in the crib each night.  We spent countless hours doing tummy time and I was super cognizant to never leave him on his back or in his car seat for too long while he was awake.  I continuously worried about what I could be doing better and felt tremendous guilt about what I should have done differently the first two months.

At his 4 month visit Dr. D., he said that his head had not improved much and if there was not much progress at his 6 month appointment we would begin the discussion of possibly getting a helmet.  

It was super disheartening leaving this doctor appointment as all the work I had been doing seemed to have been for nothing.

I decided to keep at it for another couple of weeks and go back at 5 months so get another check.

At his 5 month visit Townes weighed in at 20.25lbs.  He gained 2lbs in 1 month. He is a beast!  Townes looks a bit concerned that we are at the dr. as he was not suppose to come back for another month!


Dr. D. and I had a long discussion and we both decided that a helmet was needed.  He also reassured me that I have done nothing wrong.  He mentioned that sometimes this starts in the womb if a child is scrunched up in a tiny space.  He also told me that you can correct a flat head but you cannot correct SIDS.  Have I mentioned how much I love him??  

The doctor's office that Townes will have to go to for the helmet is on the floor above Dr. Dr's office so it is quite convenient.  We got an appointment the following day.  At our first visit they did an assessment of his head.  They too, agreed a helmet was the best course of action.  Insurance claims were started.  Once the insurance was finalized we would come in again to get the exact measurements for the helmet to be made.

They had to put a little white head piece on his for the assesment.  Is he not the most adorable thing on the planet?


The insurance process was very quick and we were back in for the office to get measurements for the helmet in days.  They had to place the white head piece over his entire head for this visit.  This guy is the happiest, most easy going person.  He could care less that he had something covering his head/face and was as pleasant as could be.  


On Friday, October 13th the helmet was completed!  This all occurred within 17 days of his 5 month visit with Dr. D. which is pretty amazing.

Todd got to join us for the big day!  Here they are waiting patiently in the office.


Let me tell you not many people can pull off this dumb expensive little helmet, but Townes sure can.







He normally attracts a lot of attention from the ladies when we are out and about but since having this helmet it has quadrupled.  Our neighbor, Ann, said he looks better in his helmet than Tom Brady looks in his.  That is the best compliment he could ever get.

For the next 6 - 8 weeks Townes is going to rock this helmet like no else has before.  In the end, Townes is going to have the most beautiful (and expensive) round head in the world.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

23 Months! (Townes)

My little man is now 23 months old! He is so happy, sweet and funny!  His days are spent laughing and smiling...with only a few tears thrown in there every once in awhile. His new favorite loves this month are dandelions and helping me do things. Townes can spot a dandelion from a mile away and insists on grabbing every single one of them. He also insists on helping me do everything.  Some things take a bit longer to do with Townes helping but I'll take them taking out the trash everyday! His favorite foods is still tacos.  He gets fired up anytime we mention tacos and starts chanting....'TACOS! TACOS!'. He loves soccer balls.  One day he had a fit to try on one of Candor's soccer uniforms.  I have never in my life seen anyone so proud.  He was glowing and thought he was so cool like his big bro. Todd ordered them both a new Liverpool kit which was also Townes first soccer kit of...

Frankenstein

Candor and I did our first craft project.  There were no fights and it 'kind of' looks like Frankenstein so I give it an A+!

2018 Valentines

Townes and Candor had an awesome Valentines this year. In early February Candor and Townes made some sweet little Valentines for some of their friends. Candor then had his Valentines Day Sock Hop at his preschool.  A few hours before the dance I remembered I had signed up to bring cookies so we raced to the IGA and picked up our 'homemade' cookies! We then started getting ready for the big dance.  Once we got to the dance we headed straight to the photo booth.  Candor loved posing with all his friends and we could barely drag him away. Candor then headed for the dance floor.  He danced, played limbo, and ran around like crazy.  All the kids had so much fun. On the morning of Valentines Candor and Townes 'raced' downstairs to see what they got. Candor then got dressed and headed to school with the Valentines for his friends and Ms. Suzi's gift. Candor insisted that we bring Ms. Suzi some chocolate c...